Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Partners viral load and the flu virus
Nov 26, 2011

My partner told me her viral load was lasted tested in the 15000s and her CD4 count was 540 at 24%. She had not had any lab work done in 6 months. She didn't give me a specific number but said it was barely detectable so I figure less than 1000 and most likely around 200-400 if not a bit lower.

She's been asked to do resistance testing and go back in 3-4 months for another check of her viral load and CD4 count.

1)She told me she had the flu when she last had her viral loud checked. How much could the flu influence her viral load?

She doesn't seem to keen on anti-HIV medicine at this point in time.

2)Would you recommend treatment for her if her numbers don't go down to preserve her immune function?

3)I've introduced her to some supplements that could help such as olive leaf extract, elderberry extract and selenium. In your opinion are these worth trying especially if her numbers are reasonable and not in need or HAART?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

1. Yes, other ongoing infections like flu can certainly increase viral load by 10-fold or more, mostly in those people not on HIV meds. 2. Although her CD4 count is in the normal range, her CD4% has already declined a significant amount. Thus, regardless of her viral load, she has some degree if immune system damage, albeit mild. Although there is no urgency to start HIV treatment, starting HIV treatment would reverse this trend. 3. I don't think those things are harmful and could provide some benefit

Previous
Lab results and kaposis
Next
R.E. Labs, strange symptoms, and a few pressing questions from Nov 20, 2011

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.