cd4 and viral load dilema - what to do?

Hallo Dr Holodniy, I have been HIV positive for 12 years and not taking medication. For the last year, my Doctor has told me we need to start treating the virus. Here is a sample of my labs; Last week cd4-214, viral load-400,and 37%. A month ago it was, cd4-218, viral load-314, and 35%. Three months before that, cd4-350, viral load-500, and 35%. Basically my viral has been below 1000 for the last 6 years when i was diagnosed, cd4 goes up and down from 500 to a low of 200 and back to 350 most of the times. The % has been over 32 all along. Right now i am under a lot of stress and i so unprepared to start medication. My health is good,no fatigue or nausea,all the other blood counts are normal.

My question is what do you think is the reason for the low cd4, low viral load and high per cent. Would you recommend medication asap if i was your patient?

Thanks Doctor.

You are correct this is a dilemma, as there is a disconnect between your low CD4 count, normal percent and the very low viral load. The HIV treatment guidelines and experts are unlikely to have a unified recommendation or consensus on what to do in your kind of situation, as there is just not enough data on outcomes to be smart about this. Although I don't think there is an urgency to start, I agree with your doctor. I think starting treatment will shut the virus down, stabilize your CD4 count, and eliminate this nagging problem of such swings in CD4 count.

White Blood Count Keeps going lower on ARV's
Hositalized and diagnosed Oct -- really confused