The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

pcp pneumonia 9 t cells

Oct 30, 2011

this june i was diagnosed with aids and pcp pneumonia. it was a shock and im still trying to accept my new lifestyle and how drastically my life has changed. i have been on atripla 3 months and my t cell count is up to 138. i still am taking all the other antibiotics to fight off other illnesses. i am 58, male, and a gay dad whose children are not taking this well. i depend on lorazapam to keep me emotionally stable when i start to get anxious and scared. how much longer do you think i will need the antibiotics? my doctor, who i trust says I am doing remakably well, but i think i have a long recovery ahead. any advice?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

First, I agree with your doctor, you have had a great response to HIV treatment. But you are correct in your observation that it will take time to get your immune system recovered enough so you are no longer at risk for serious infections and can stop the antibiotics. We usually stop the antibiotics when the CD4 count has risen above 200 and stays above 200 for a few months. So, you have made a great recovery from 9 to 138 CD4 cells, but you still have a ways to go before stopping the antibiotics. But being on the meds for only 3 months and having the response you have had, there is a very good likelihood you will get there soon.

cd went up
Western Blot Testing

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint