pcp pneumonia 9 t cells

this june i was diagnosed with aids and pcp pneumonia. it was a shock and im still trying to accept my new lifestyle and how drastically my life has changed. i have been on atripla 3 months and my t cell count is up to 138. i still am taking all the other antibiotics to fight off other illnesses. i am 58, male, and a gay dad whose children are not taking this well. i depend on lorazapam to keep me emotionally stable when i start to get anxious and scared. how much longer do you think i will need the antibiotics? my doctor, who i trust says I am doing remakably well, but i think i have a long recovery ahead. any advice?

First, I agree with your doctor, you have had a great response to HIV treatment. But you are correct in your observation that it will take time to get your immune system recovered enough so you are no longer at risk for serious infections and can stop the antibiotics. We usually stop the antibiotics when the CD4 count has risen above 200 and stays above 200 for a few months. So, you have made a great recovery from 9 to 138 CD4 cells, but you still have a ways to go before stopping the antibiotics. But being on the meds for only 3 months and having the response you have had, there is a very good likelihood you will get there soon.

cd went up
Western Blot Testing