Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

changing from kaletra/truvada to atripla+adherence
Sep 25, 2011

Hi. I have been taking Kaletra and Truvada for about 6 years now. When I started, my CD4 count was 4 and now its consistently in the 700s w/ an undetectable viral load. Now my doctor wants me to switch to Atripla--which I want to do. I have 2 questions: 1. I have about a week left of the kaletra/truvada. I sometimes miss doses because the pharmacy doesn't have it in stock and I waited until the last minute, or I had to go out of town for a month with only 28 days of meds available. Can I save my kaletra/truvada for emergencies--for example if I were in a situation where I was without meds for 2 or 3 days? 2. I know that kaletra is alittle more lenient when it comes to adherence than Atripla. Is missing a dose twice a month really going to affect the Aptripla? It didn't seem to affect the kaletra/Truvada by my numbers.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

1. Well that would not usually be recommended, but there is no reason why the meds wouldn't work in that situation. In addition, they wold have an expiration date, so it makes this strategy only useful for a limited time. 2. Probably not, given that you are already undetectable. But I wouldn't make that a habit, as cumulative skipped doses could add up and lead to regimen failure.

Previous
Vomit after Viraday
Next
Flu shot

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.