Tuberculosis

Dr. McGowan, I had my routine checkup this morning and was shocked to hear I tested positive for TB. The test was Quantiferon Gold blood test. I had a negative skin test in 2008 and 2009. I have no symptoms, exersize, run 5-6 days per week, and am in great health. I was diagnosed HIV+ in 2008 with a CD4 of 511, went on Atripla immediately and have been undetectable with a current CD4 of 924. I had a chest x-ray and am awaiting the results. Doctor says I will probably go on a 6-9 month regimen of meds to clear the infection. I have no idea how I could have contracted this. I am very concerned about side effects of the meds.....Could you offer advice?

I can't speak to how you may have come in contact with TB, but given the positive blood test, your doctor is correct, you will need to go on preventative treatment for several months. It would not be a good idea to forgo the TB meds. Yes, there can be side effects, particularly with your liver, but with close follow-up, they can be managed if they develop at all.

Viral Load down but so is CD4
difference CD4