The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

concern of cd4

Aug 21, 2011

In general, you should be following the CD4 count and percent over time. The CD4 count is more variable and the CD4% more stable over time. A normal CD4 count in someone without HIV infection is between 500-1500 and the CD4% is 30-50%. That means in someone with a CD4 count of around 500 we would expect to see a CD4% of 30%. Given that your CD4 count is 590 with a CD4% of 22%, your doctor is concerned because your CD4% should be in the 30s and it appears that you have lost a significant proportion of your CD4 percentage. Thus, despite having a normal CD4 count and low viral load, it appears that things are starting to happen with respect to ongoing HIV replication, despite not having any symptoms or problems as a result of HIV infection. Many experts would suggest starting HIV meds to preserve immune function and control viral replication. Others might say wait and see what the trend is over the next few months. Hello, Dr Mark! i read your reply here and hava a question. my cd4 count is 350,24%.CD4: 24%,CD4/CD8 ratio is 0.89. CD16/56 NK cells 30% 430 cells/mm3 (abnormal). is that meant i am hiv possitive now? thanks

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You don't indicate what your HIV antibody test or HIV viral load test results are, so it is hard to answer your question.

understanding lab results
hep b

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint