Prescription Queried by Pharmacist

My doctor prescribed Combivir and Tyricten for me today after my latest lab results came. But on presentation, the pharmacist protested asking for clarification. told me these drugs do not work together. Could it be that my doctor is off track with HIV meds or what will be your take? I have lost all confidence in him any way. Waiting for your advice.

In general, I agree with the pharmacist. Combivir contains AZT and 3TC. Tyricten contains tenofovir and FTC. 3TC and FTC are essentially the same drug, and there is no advantage to taking both FTC and 3TC. All of these drugs are from the same class and we usually like to combine drugs at least 2 different classes of HIV meds.

Meds not improving CD4
values cd4 and percentage