Syphilis

So my bf (who is HIV-) tested positive for syphilis with a 1:1 reactive. He called the infectious disease specialist today and they told him that he is in the latent stage and probably is affecting his other organs. They also told him that he likely has HIV. I don't understand how they can really tell him this since he tested HIV-. From what I've read, isn't 1:1 not as bad as, say, 1:32? What do these numbers mean? I'm going to tell him that he needs to talk to someone else.

Like an HIV test, this syphilis test result (likely from an RPR test) requires an additional confirmatory test. The titer is a measure of the disease activity, but it is not an absolute number and varies between people. If confirmed, you will need to be tested.

SCS implant and HIV - Risks?
cd8 pos lymp node