Did I wait too long to get tested/start meeds?

Hello, I'm newly diagnosed May 2 2011, with aids diagnosis mid june. My question is was I too ignorant to get tested that it will affect my life expectancy and the effectiveness of meeds? My t cell count originally was 12, cmv of the colon brought me into a week stay at the hospital. There my dr told me my t cell count had gone up to 96 on 3 weeks of meeds. He couldn't understand why I was sick with cmv if my body was getting healthier. (his words) So my researching the net I think I screwed myself by being in denial of my hiv before testing. And the drugs don't work as well on people with an aids diagnosis. Also my dr has never discussed viral loads??? Should that concern me? He is an infectious disease/internal medicine dr. He seems to have a great reputation. He just said as leaving hospital that he expected my count to jump another 100 points with a couple more weeks. And once that happened I could quit taking this other multitude meeds. Funny the atripla has the least amount of side effects of the drugs i'm taking. Will I die within 5 years? (Never asked my dr about my life expectancy)

In general, I agree with your doctor's comments and assessment. Importantly, you did get tested and are on meds and on the way up. It is hard to know how much of an increase you will see in your CD4 count, but I suspect high enough for you to be out of danger from getting any more of these serious infections. It is important for you to keep track of your numbers, which would include your CD4 count, percent and viral load. We can't predict the future, but if you keep taking your meds as prescribed it is very possible you can enjoy a normal life span.

Elevated Liver Enzymes
I just got my results after 6 months of Atripla