Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Did I wait too long to get tested/start meeds?
Jul 17, 2011

Hello, I'm newly diagnosed May 2 2011, with aids diagnosis mid june. My question is was I too ignorant to get tested that it will affect my life expectancy and the effectiveness of meeds? My t cell count originally was 12, cmv of the colon brought me into a week stay at the hospital. There my dr told me my t cell count had gone up to 96 on 3 weeks of meeds. He couldn't understand why I was sick with cmv if my body was getting healthier. (his words) So my researching the net I think I screwed myself by being in denial of my hiv before testing. And the drugs don't work as well on people with an aids diagnosis. Also my dr has never discussed viral loads??? Should that concern me? He is an infectious disease/internal medicine dr. He seems to have a great reputation. He just said as leaving hospital that he expected my count to jump another 100 points with a couple more weeks. And once that happened I could quit taking this other multitude meeds. Funny the atripla has the least amount of side effects of the drugs i'm taking. Will I die within 5 years? (Never asked my dr about my life expectancy)

Response from Dr. Holodniy

In general, I agree with your doctor's comments and assessment. Importantly, you did get tested and are on meds and on the way up. It is hard to know how much of an increase you will see in your CD4 count, but I suspect high enough for you to be out of danger from getting any more of these serious infections. It is important for you to keep track of your numbers, which would include your CD4 count, percent and viral load. We can't predict the future, but if you keep taking your meds as prescribed it is very possible you can enjoy a normal life span.

Previous
Elevated Liver Enzymes
Next
I just got my results after 6 months of Atripla

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.