The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Elevated Liver Enzymes

Jul 17, 2011

I just got the results of my last labs and my liver enzymes are elevated, which has been a trend over the past year and a half. my ast is 156 and my alt is 225 and bilirubin is 1.7 My Physicians Assistant is fairly new to HIV but has been a PAC for 20 plus years. She was very mystified about this and I go see her tomorrow to discuss what options I have or what I should do. I am a little scared to tell you the truth. I have been on the same meds for 7 years (Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada). I did try Isentress for a month last year, but got really depressed and then my PA said that it was probably because I no longer had the Norvir to boost my antidepressants. What do you think and what would you suggest. I am a big fan of this website and recommend it often. Thanks, Brenda

Response from Dr. Holodniy

If your ALT and AST have been normal on this regimen for 7 years, then the elevation is likely not related directly to those meds. The slightly increased bilirubin is likely the result of reyataz, but that doesn't usually involve an increase in ALT and AST, and by itself, would not be harmful. Has there been any change or addition in any other medications or over the counter products? Those could interact with the HIV meds to cause this. Otherwise, you should get tested for other things that could cause an increase in these liver enzymes (like hepatitis viruses).

Did I wait too long to get tested/start meeds?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint