Chance of a non-progressor

Hello Mark - I was recently diagnosed positive in 2/11. I had not been tested in 3 years so I'm not sure the date of seroconversion but my doctor seems to think it has been at least a year. I have been twice to see him for my blood work. The first time in Feb. my VL was 120 and my CD4 was 640. I just recently went back and this time my VL was under 75 and my CD4 count was 790. I am just wondering how common this is? My doctor was amazed and thought that I had been taking meds which I am not. He said that 1 of 3 things could be going on. 1) I contracted a weak virus and its having a hard time attaching to my cells. 2) There is a chance I could be a long term non-progressor. 3) I have a strong immune system that can fight it off right now. I guess I am wondering out of those 3 which sounds like the more possible one? He is a great doctor but I never really asked him how common it is to have undetectable lab results without being on meds. Thanks for everything you do on this site!

Although all 3 are possible, #3 is most likely. Your situation is not common, but is definitely seen by many practitioners. Without very sophisticated research-type testing, it is difficult to determine whether #1 or #2 are in play.

Unsafe sex and HBV Positive
Trying to understand my labs