Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HBV Viral Load
Jul 9, 2011

I have had HBV infection for many years. Oral drugs stopped working. I went on pegasus interferon for 48 weeks it lowered my viral load at first but did not eliminate the virus. My last viral load was over 2 billion. The doc is suggesting another round of interferon. What exactly does a viral load of 2 billion mean??

Response from Dr. Holodniy

That is a very high HBV viral load, although it doesn't directly measure how much damage your liver may as a result of this infection. If resistance testing has not already been done, it should be, to determine if your virus is resistance or susceptible to any of the oral drugs. If any of the oral drugs are still active it would be best to combine them with interferon at this point.

Previous
Tested Indeterminate Twice for HIV within 3mth period
Next
Unsafe sex and HBV Positive

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.