Viral Load increase, TCell Drop, CD4 Percentage increase

Hello, My most recent set of labs came back and for the first time in almost two years my viral load was no longer undetectable at 60. My T-Cells went from 450 to about 300, but my doctor said the the overall percentage of CD4 went up. He's not concerned as he thinks this is a blip and I have now been adherant to my med regimen without missing a day for over two years. What could cause the viral load to blip up and how is it that the TCells went down but the CD4 percentage got better? Many thanks.

This is not an uncommon scenario. Viral load blips are a well known phenomenon and are likely due to assay variability in most cases. The CD4 count can vary over time because of time of day, stress, immunizations, other ongoing infections, different assays, among other reasons. I would tend to agree with your doctor and would just repeat at your next scheduled visit.

Sutherlandia - can it cause an increased VL
Follow-Up To "When To Start Meds"