The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Follow up on Primary Biliaryy Cirrhosis and HIV

May 15, 2011

Dr. Holodniy - yes - I tested positive for the HIV test with the Western Blot - as my initial question stated. I was given the results on Feb 16th by my hepatologist - he then sent me to the lab to have my viral load/CD4 and phenotyping labs performed. When they came back about a week later my viral load as of Feb 16th was 461,000 and my CD4's were 358. I had my first appointment with an infectious disease physician on March 1st. She determined that I was most likely in Stage II and that she could offer me meds - but that her advice was to see what my body could naturally do to "kick back" against HIV before going on meds. She scheduled a new viral load/cd4 test for May 3rd and my appointment to discuss whatever the labs revealed on May 10th. I hope this helps you with my question. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I thought I had answered this, but I see it again in the inbox. You may have more information now anyway. A second set of labs will help determine the HIV treatment question and answer. If your repeat labs show basically the same numbers (or perhaps a lower CD4 count), then you should start treatment. If the viral load has come down some (but still over 50-100,000) and your CD4 count is marginally better (350-500), I would still recommend treatment. I think I would only consider delaying treatment if your viral load is way down and your CD4 count is over 500.

Rise in Viral Load

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint