Follow up on Primary Biliaryy Cirrhosis and HIV

Dr. Holodniy - yes - I tested positive for the HIV test with the Western Blot - as my initial question stated. I was given the results on Feb 16th by my hepatologist - he then sent me to the lab to have my viral load/CD4 and phenotyping labs performed. When they came back about a week later my viral load as of Feb 16th was 461,000 and my CD4's were 358. I had my first appointment with an infectious disease physician on March 1st. She determined that I was most likely in Stage II and that she could offer me meds - but that her advice was to see what my body could naturally do to "kick back" against HIV before going on meds. She scheduled a new viral load/cd4 test for May 3rd and my appointment to discuss whatever the labs revealed on May 10th. I hope this helps you with my question. Thank you.

I thought I had answered this, but I see it again in the inbox. You may have more information now anyway. A second set of labs will help determine the HIV treatment question and answer. If your repeat labs show basically the same numbers (or perhaps a lower CD4 count), then you should start treatment. If the viral load has come down some (but still over 50-100,000) and your CD4 count is marginally better (350-500), I would still recommend treatment. I think I would only consider delaying treatment if your viral load is way down and your CD4 count is over 500.

Rise in Viral Load
CIRUGIA