How does the cd4 count and viral load work??

My last CD4 count was 91 and has not gone above 100 in the last six years..My viral load is now 20 last year it was 96 and my CD4 was 80. I don't understand why both are so low. Shouldn't one be high and one low. Thanks for any help.

You don't indicate whether you are on HIV treatment or not. I assume with your viral load being that low that you are on HIV treatment. You are correct though, in general, you want to see the viral load be undetectable and the CD4 count be increased (normal range is 500-1500 in uninfected people) beyond what your current level is.

Undetectable to 60 but adhering
Understanding CD4/CD*