Persistent Cough and Tiredness

I was diagnosed with HIV in December 2010 with a cd4 count of 565 and a viral load of 75,000. I am 65 years of age. Subsequent blood tests have shown a cd4 count of 650 and a viral load of 46,000. I have a dreadful and persistent cough which appears never to stop. This is wearing me down with all the effort of coughing. My HIV doctors seem to be baffled as there is no obvious cause of the problem. I have taken every cough medicine and pastille going without any effect. I am not currently on HIV medication ( I am taking Acilovir for Herpes) and my question is do you think if I went on medication it might have any beneficial effect on the cough. I also have an outbreak of facial warts but this is being kept under control by the hospital freezing them

The two sets of numbers are very consistent, thus there is no significant difference between those CD4 counts and viral load levels. That said, about half of the experts would defer treatment in those people with a CD4 count > 500 and a viral load < 100,000. I have no explanation for the cough, and is unlikely due to HIV infection. On the other hand, given your age, I would recommend starting HIV treatment to preserve your immune system.

Adopting an HIV child
hbv viral load 2011