Could Niacin cause raised ALT?

Dear Dr,

HIV+ for around 2 years, started treatment (Atripla) in August 2010 with vl of 28000 and bassline and nadir of 261/16%. By December 2010 vl was 68 and cd4 437/32%.

In September my ALT was 35. In December it was 64 and in January is was 78. I have just had full bloods done and will get the results soon. The doctors said it's not an immediate concern but if this level is repeated or if it worsens I'll be sent for an ultrasound. Otherwise healthy 24 year old male, hepatitis all neg. I have a few questions.

1) Are my doctors right to say it's not an immediate concern? 2) Would a consistent level of around 80 warrant an ultra sound? 3) Is this a common response to Atripla? 40) I have read that Niacin can cause raised ALT levels. I take around 104mg daily in supplement. Could this have anything to do with it?

Thanks so much for your help

1. Not an immediate concern. 2. Not initially. Other blood tests to rule out other possible causes should be performed first. Then the trend of ALT elevation should also be taken into account, as well as any other liver enzyme or function tests that are abnormal. 3. Not commonly, but definitely does occur. 4. Yes, also possible.

Lypodystrophy
Adopting an HIV child