Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

virial load and cd4

my nephew was dianoised with hiv and he called me yesterday asking if it was good or bad that his virial load was 158 and his cd4 was 258 or 358. i asked if he has started meds he said no when i asked about his tcells he didn't know what i was talking about. so are these numbers good or bad. so that i can help him understand

Well the viral load is quite low and the CD4 count is decreased from the normal range (500-1500), and indicates a moderate amount of immune system damage. Even with a low viral load, the recommendation would be that he start HIV treatment.

CD4 Count
Hep C results clarification