Hepatits Panel

I tested positive for Hep B back in 1983 but was told that I had the antibodies so that I was not a carrier nor had a chronic condition. I recently had a hep panel done which said I have not been exposed to Hep B (core antibodies non reactive as well as non reactice surface antigen. That was great but the test is showing a reactive result to Hep C. I am very confused how that could have happened. So is my doctor, Do you have any idea? Should I get retested?

Without seeing the 1983 results, its hard to know what was tested and what the results were. There would not have been a specific HCV antibody test in 1983, as the virus was not yet known and no specific tests were available. Many cases at the time were referred to as nonA-nonB hepatitis. In addition to a screening HCV antibody test, you need to have the test confirmed and also determine whether you are chronically infected with HCV or not.

rash
Low Cd4