MAC Disease

I had CD4 count of 5 when diagnosed with AIDS. My doctor did bone marrow biopsy as there was suspicion of lymphoma. He also sent the bone marrow for MAC testing which was negative. MRI's show bone lesions around the spine and the hip. Kaposi Sarcoma was negative on skin punch biopsy as was bacillary angiomatosis. I have join pain in shoulders, knees, fingers, wrists, ankles, etc. Could this be MAC-D with a false negative? My CD4 count is now 168

It is possible. However, you don't indicate whether blood cultures for MAC were obtained, and if so, what those results were. It is very easy to grow MAC out of blood cultures. Negative blood cultures would likely indicate that MAC was not the issue. I assume you started HIV treatment, given your current CD4 count. Having that CD4 count makes it extremely difficult to find MAC, and much less likely that MAC would be an issue given the recovery of your immune system.

Hi doctor my cd4 is260, VL is 0
cd4/cd8