Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

more on log10 copies
Jan 1, 2011

Hi. I lost my insurance, and do not qualify for ADAP. Am searching for insurance that I can afford that includes prescriptions. In the meantime, my baseline is 40, since being off meds, my cd4 has dropped to 150, VL is 460,000 My question is regarding my Log10 copies. In Aug 10, the VL was 240,000 w/ 5.38 log10 copies.CD4 was 174. Now in Dec 10, the Vl jumped to the 460,000 with 5.67 log10 copies. CD4 fell to 156. My labs say to be "significant" the change in log10 should be at least 0.5 In that my change is only .29. What does "significant" mean? significant = no big deal?? Confused. Thank god the lab is letting me pay installments. I am also able to buy septra to protect from PCP. But labs get confusing... especially since I am watching my immune system deplete itself. Currently am not symptomatic only tired. Wish me luck in getting some insurance.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Although those are both high viral load values, there is no significant difference, either by copy number or log copy number. Significant changes in viral load are usually defined as those greater than 3 fold or 0.5 log, up or down. Good luck on the insurance issue.

Previous
Alkaline Phosophate
Next
anion gap

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.