Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Elevated liver enzymes pre-HIV and pre-meds
Nov 14, 2010

Hi Dr Holodniy

I had ALT;17 and AST:48 last year when I was HIV negative. Three months after seroconversion, both numbers are in the 80s. I have been tested negative for HBV and HCV in the most recent blood work. I am not on any medication (HAART or others), but I take vitamin supplements. I drink moderately (once or twice a week, each time a couple of glasses of wine or two pints of beer, typically).

My doctor was at a loss as to finding out probable cause of elevated enzymes. Are there other risk factors we should be looking into? Or, are some people more proned to alcohol-related liver damage? (I'd like to believe that my consumption is moderate).

Response from Dr. Holodniy

One can certainly see elevated liver enzymes as a result of acute HIV infection. Three months after HIV infection is a bit long to see elevated enzymes, although it is possible. In addition to alcohol, Hepatitis viruses, other medications, or over the counter medications or supplements can also cause this. I would abstain from any alcohol for a couple of days before your next blood draw.

Previous
Previously thought to be a controller
Next
do i need aids drugs?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.