Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Elite Controllers
Oct 31, 2010

Greetings Dr Holodniy, I do not know exactly what forum my ? belongs but from reading many of your responses I see you are extremely knowledgable and respect your expertise(no disrespect to the other great Drs here intended). So....Infected in '86, CD4s 500-750, VL Ud w/o meds. In Elite Controllers it appears the mechanism by which we control viral replication is the cell-mediated immunity(CD8s). Am I correct? What role if any does the humoral system play? Also, with assays now available that are able to quantify down to 1 copy have any studies been done on ECs to see if there is any replication going on at all in their bodies? Thank You Sir

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Yes, the CD8 response is increased and more efficient in elite controllers compared to those who are HIV infected and whose virus is not controlled or controlled with HIV meds. The Humoral system is also important. B cells, which make antibodies, still have a role to play in helping control infection. Although many controllers do have some level of virus in plasma below 50 copies, they also have copies of integrated virus in circulating mature CD4 cells, albeit much less than those whose infection is not controlled or controlled by HIV meds.

Previous
elite controllers' cd8 count ?
Next
is my range normal after 5 months of atripls

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.