Kidney function lab results

In July, my husband, who is HIV+, had his blood work done and the test showed that his creatinine was 1.5 and his eGFR was 53. I researched this and found that if it stays in that range for 3 months or longer it is considered CKD. (He has been on Atripla for 4 years) Today, in October, we got the results from his kidney test and it showed creatinine at 1.4 and eGFR at 57. This still puts him in the stage 3 CKD range. I asked his doctor about this and he said the results were wrong because he figured it up in his head and that my husbands eGFR was over 80. I think he is full of it. I suggested to my husband that he see someone else but he was just so happy to hear "good news" that he doesn't want to go to anyone else for a while. Based on these results, shouldn't he be seeing a nephrologist? If left untreated, how quickly could it progress to stage 5? (He drinks 9-12 Dr. pepper's every day and was taking 6-12 ibuprofen per day in addition to his multi vitamin pack, his green vegetable tablet pack, his Atripla and his Nexium. Also he takes 1-2 alka-seltzer cold per day...whether he has a cold or not) His urine is foamy, his kidneys hurt every day, his joints have been hurting...knees and hips...he gets dizzy alot and feels nauseus alot. Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

His creatinine is on the borderline of being increased. It is difficult to know what the GFR should be as it requires some other variables in order to know what it likely is. You also don't indicate whether he has other ongoing medical conditions or whether other studies were performed looking at kidney function. However, the daily ibuprofen, combined with atripla and othe meds or vitamins could certainly be contributing to kidney problems.

Why has my viral load decrease slowed
HBV DNA 373 IU/ml