Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Long-term HIV Patient, age 60, with stable virile load
Oct 24, 2010

Hi, I have been hiv+ for 23 years, whose CD4 count has fluctuated around 600. Viral load usually below 30,000. Four years ago my doctor took me off of meds, the logic that the drugs do not appear to affect the numbers either way. My new doc, who has research background and the specialty of Infectious Diseases, wants to start an aggressive treatment with 5 different meds. All the tests to determine any resistance to prior HIV drugs have been done and she reviewed with me. It feels like a sledgehammer to a baby boomer.:) One of the drugs is AZT which she wants to start me on for a few weeks to knock down the virile load to undetectable. I realize the knowledge amd treatment regimens regarding HIV are always changing. What do you think? Thanks

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I would agree with getting you back on meds, although I am not sure I understand the need for 5 drugs. Was significant resistance found? I am also not sure about the need for AZT in your case. It would be helpful if you had the resistance test results, what you previously were taking, the 5 drugs she intends to start, and why, and get back to me.

Previous
viral load 475, cd4 count 349
Next
re:re: good results (few more questions!)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.