|If VL isundetectable and I take an HIV test, do I test HIV positive?
Oct 17, 2010
Hello, I was wondering if the HIV positive diagnosis can only be made if the VL is present in blood. If I take the test now, one year after I have been on treatment and my VL is undetectable, will I still test HIV positive? Will I still have HIV antibodies regardless of the fact that VL is undetectable or HIV can be detected only when the VL is over a certain limit? Is it a case that once you have had the diagnosis of HIV positive, you have it for life because the body can not eradicate the virus? Thank you. Kind Regards,
| Response from Dr. Holodniy
You will still have antibodies and the HIV antibody test will still be positive for the foreseeable future.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Loose Stool After Insertive Anal Sex With Condom What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Swollen Lymph Glands After Kissing Cut On Lip Worried I Have HIV
- Testicular Pain After Receptive Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- White Discharge After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- How Often Do You Get Hepatitis B Vaccination?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.