Are HIV Patients Still Losing Sulfer?

Many years ago, at either a DAIDS sponsored pathogenesis meeting, or an International AIDS Society Meeting, I heard a speaker (Ph.D. or M.D.) state that intracellular levels of glutathione were far more predictive of HIV disease progression than CD4+ T cell counts, or any other measure.

About that same time a husband and wife team from Stanford, who are credited with inventing Florescent Activated Cell Sorting technology, ran a small short study of N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC) in HIV+ patients. NAC is considered a good source for sulfer; and along with Glutamine, Tryptophan and Selenium is considered a building block for glutathione.

http://www.aegis.com/pubs/amfar/2000/am000401.html

In the book "What Really Causes AIDS", the loss of glutathione was credited with HIV disease progression:

http://www.islandnet.com/~legends/fostertheory.htm

I continue to hear that micro-nutrients likely play a major role in the health of an HIV patient. Yet, I can't seem to find many follow-up studies that clearly show a benefit to taking any micro-nutrients.

Backing-up, the speaker who stated that intracellular levels of glutathione were the most predictive of disease progression ALSO stated that using a marker for glutathione and a Florescent Activated Cell Sorting machine would produce *** almost exclusively *** T cells from (I think PBMCs.

I would like to know if you are aware of any recent studies looking at restoring intracellular levels of glutathione to halt HIV disease progression.

Thank you.

I am not aware of any randomized control studies, but there is a lot of basic science work that has been published recently on the topic.

Low T cells and Low CD4
hep b