Low T cells and Low CD4

My boyfriend was diagnosed last year with HIV, at the time his VL=80 and CD4 = 260. I am wondering why his CD4 was so low yet his VL was also low. I thought by the time you get to cd4-260 the VL would be in the thousands. Can you explain this. After meds his CD4=480. He is thinking of getting off meds for a while. Is it safe? What are the consequences and how long before he gets back on the meds again.

I can't really explain that, but we do see this on occasion. Stopping HIV meds would be a bad idea, as he would likely lose the CD4 cells that he recovered with HIV treatment, and if his CD4 count dips below 200, he is at great risk of developing serious opportunistic infections as a result of the loss of his immune system.

CD4 cell lifespan with and without treatment
Are HIV Patients Still Losing Sulfer?