Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

3rd set of labs, no change, doc says 6 mos is OK for next labs
Sep 26, 2010

I was just diagnosed in Mar., 2010 - first labs CD4 950, VL 900, June - CD4 750, VL 900ish, Sept - CD4 1080, VL 900ish - My doctor says that he doesn't think 3 month tests are clinically worthwhile at this point and says I can go to every 6. Would you concur that 9 mos history as a "non-progressor" is a valid "trend" to support 6 months w/o labs? - I'm still educating myself so I really don't know what kind of progression rates are expected...

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Your doctor is likely correct. Your CD4 count is well within the normal range and your viral load is quite low. The consistency of the results speaks to the fact that your immune system at this point is able to control the infection fairly well on its own, without the need for meds. So, it's not unreasonable to not relook at your numbers for another 6 months. If the CD4 percent and count begin to drop and the viral load begins to creep up, then you may be looking at going back to every 3 months to determine whether treatment would be started sooner rather than later. I don't think you can say at this point anything further about "nonprogression".

Previous
Good Results - soon undetectable?
Next
Are elite suppressors actually cured?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.