CD4 dropped/viral load relatively stable

My partner's CD4 dropped from 550 to 440 in the last 3 months, and his viral load remained relatively stable at about 80 (I'm not sure what units these are in - something else I have some confusion about). He seroconverted about 4 years ago and has since then been unmedicated. I'm just wondering if he/we should start thinking about medication or for just a general gauging of where these numbers fall in terms of health.

Another number to follow is the CD4%. I suspect it has not changed even though the CD4 count appears to have declined. I would find it difficult to believe that given that very low viral load that the decline in CD4 count is a real one. Viral load is usually expressed in copies per milliliter of blood. A normal CD4 count in someone without HIV infection is 500-1500.

Am I on the right track?
Once a person starts the treatment can they take pain meds?