|AST greater than ALT
Sep 5, 2010
I have recently be diagnosed with HCV and am trying to understand my lab results. My AST is 75 and my ALT is 58. Everything I've read says this means I have cirrhosis. I have been sober for 4 years, but had a drinking problem for 10 years or more before that. All of my other numbers look pretty good. My viral load is 2,340,000, but my platelets are 345. Do I definitely have cirrhosis? SHould I have a liver biopsy? Thanks you.
| Response from Dr. Holodniy
You cannot determine just from elevated liver enzymes that you have cirrhosis. Other laboratory data, medical complications and a liver biopsy would likely be definitive.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Dizziness After Getting A Tattoo Worried I Have HIV
- Flaky Skin After Touching Vaginal Fluid Worried I Have HIV
- Red Eyes After French Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Sore Testicles After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Sore Throat After Sex With Stripper Worried I Have HIV
- Are Red Bumps All Over The Body A Sign Of An Std?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.