Ideal CD%

Dear Mark,

I was diagnosed positive in 2004 with a CD4 count of 51. I started treatment and my CD4 has stabalized since 2007 at about 500 and my VL has been undetectable since 2006. My CD4% is 16.9% at the moment. Is there a 'normal' or desirable CD4% that one should aim for and is mine 'normal' or is it too low?

Thank you.

Danie

A normal CD4 count and percent in someone without HIV infection is 500-1500 and 30-50% respectively. You have had a great response to treatment and your count is just in the normal range, but your percent is not, and likely reflects where your immune system truly is. A CD4% of < 14% indicates that someone would have AIDS, or significant immune system problems. You are now above that, indicating your immune system is recovering. It may continue to increase over time, although slowly.

Take pills again after vomitting
Lymphocyte Subpopulation