Cd4 went up but went back down. Recently diagnosed.

Cd4 count went down and need help understanding. Very confused and upset. I thought I'd receive some good news by now. I take truvada, norvir and reyataz. Doctors have given me promises that if i die that it wont be from the hiv. Originally in November 2009 my cd4 count was 351 and my viral load was 250,000 so that's why I went on the meds 3 weeks after infection. Since then my cd4 went up to 420 and my viral load dropped way down to 220. That was like 3 months ago. Now, my vl is undetectable which I thought was good but my cd4 count dropped from 420 to 384. This is why I'm very concerned. I never skip a dose, always eat a full meal.

My doctor says the same thing he always does... You're ok and it's not something to worry about. He said something about some kind of percentage that went up high so that's a good thing too.

I feel like it's all down hill from here. Should these cd4 numbers go up from this point on if I am undetectable? Is what's going on with my numbers common amongst HIV positive males? I am Turkish so I'm not sure what race category that falls into but I hear that the disease effects other races more than others. Should I switch meds? find a new doctor?

Please help me understand what's going on.

Thank you

D

I agree with your doctor. You have had a great response. I am not concerned about the slight decline in CD4 count and it is likely your CD4 percent, which is a much more stable number over time, has stayed the same or increased.

medical or psychiatric
Newly Diagnosed & Afraid