Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Elite controller declining and freaked out
Aug 1, 2010

I have been an elite contoller for the past 7 years and over the past 4 months have experienced a drastic decline. My cd4 percentage dropped from 51% to 32.5% and cd8% increased from 28% to 43%. My cd4's dropped from 710 to 403 and cd8s increased to 553. All in only 4 months! My usual undetectable <48 VL increased to only 126. I have been experiencing severe insomnia and depression due to my job loss two years ago. I have also had a mild sinus infection for since January that does not seem to go away, despite antibiotic treatment. I wake up at 2AM and can not fall back to sleep. I am taking sleep meds that do not seem to work well. Therapy does not make the problems go away either. Do you think this sudden change is only temporary? I am concerned of having to go on meds with a VL of only 126! The NIH and Boston researchers are puzzled, and have not seen this in a historically rock stable elite controller. Can a sinus infection, stress and insomnia make somebody progress to AIDS? One researcher thinks my durinal variation could be messed up due to my sleep. My cd4s were historically low in the morning and high in the evening. They used to be in the 400-500 range early in the morning and 700-900 in the evening. Do you think the the numbers will be able to bounce back, or is the damage perm?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Although it is possible that other ongoing issues like stress or an acute infection can result in CD4 declines, they are unlikely to be permanent in someone who has been able to control the virus without meds. I predict your numbers will come back up.

Previous
Difference between CD4 percentage and CD4/CD3 percentage
Next
Is this normal?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.