Difference between CD4 percentage and CD4/CD3 percentage

Hello Dr Mark

Thanks in advance if you shed some light on my labs for me. My immunophenotype always has a CD4 percentage which I can see is a percentage of the lymphocyte count. However there is always another number that is labelled CD4/CD3 percentage. This number is always similiar to the CD4 percentage but not quite the same. Often slightly lower. I cannot see though how this number is worked out. As it does not seem the product of the CD4 percentage divided by the CD3 percentage. Could you explain this.

Also whilst I am here. My latest labs have been somewhat strange. Two months ago my CD4 perncent went up to 45.45, and now it is back to 36.9 which is where is has been for most of the last six years. I am not on meds. Is the 45.45 a lab error? absolute CD4 is always around 700. It is almost as if the absolute count is more stable rather than the percentage, although I always read that it should be the other way round.

If I could trouble you for one more question. I am not on meds, how much longer could I hold off on those.

Kind Regards.

TD

CD3CD4 cells are t lymphocytes that are CD4+ helper cells. There can be other kinds of circulating cells that are CD4+ and might not be CD3CD4 cells.

Both of those CD4 percentages are in the normal range. Although there is less variability for CD4% it can fluctuate to some degree. I don't think there is anything to be concerned about.

You don't indicate what your current HIV viral load result is, but I suspect given your current normal CD4 count/percent, that you don't need any HIV meds at this point.

Can CD4 come up after PCP (CMV) infection w/CD4=90
Elite controller declining and freaked out