The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD4 count stuck for 6 months

Jul 25, 2010

Dear Doc,

I was diagnosed on April 2009. Back then i had a CD4 count of 200, VL 30,000. Im pretty sure i was infected 9 months prior cuz cuz i had the tipical rash and fevers post infection. Back then i used to party hard and did a lt of ecstasy, drinking and cigarettes.

After being diagnosed i took all the tests and was started on atripla. 3 months later (Jul 09) I had and STILL have an undetectable VL and CD4 count slowly rising. My cd4 4 count numbers are as foillowing:

250 July 09 300s Oct 09 low 500s Dec 09 mid 400s March 10 mid 400s July 10

As you can see here in Peru they do not give you a CD4 % only total count.

I feel great, not getting sick at all and have never had any OIs.

I dont drink, try to excercise regularly, am a bit overweight and smoke doobies about 5 times per month.

I am concerned my cd4 count hasnt gone above the 500s again or even 600s.

Here are my questions:

1. Do you think im doing good overall? 2. Will smoking pot a day before my cd4 blood test affect it negatively? 3. Any other suggestions?

Oh by the way im taking centrum multivitamins every morning since i dont eat "well balacend meals" every other day.


Response from Dr. Holodniy

1. I think you are doing fabulous. 2. Unlikely 3. Just keep doing what you are doing and stay away from the cigarettes and recreational drugs.

Grapefruit seed extract and HIV meds
is hcv rna quant real time pcr high

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint