Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Testing with Discreet 3 minute vs Home Access
Apr 29, 2001

Dear Dr., First of all, thank you and all the staff for the great work you are doing. You provide so much helpful and valuable information for people such as myself. Well, here goes... 1) I was wondering if you have heard of the home test called Discreet by Seville Marketing Ltd.? 2) Are they legitimate to your knowledge? 3) I was wondering how accurate (sensitivity) this type of test actually is, as compared to Home Access? 4) If it is more sensitive, would or could it detect antibodies at an earlier time (they claim by 28 days), than that of an ELISA test? They also claim to be the same type of test as ELISA with the only real difference being that ELISA, i.e. Home Access, tests several different tests at one time vs Discreet is an individual test and result. Discreet states: it is their new third generation, three line using double antigen recombinant proteins, which improve sensitivity and specificity. It tests for HIV-1, 2, and O antibodies. It is not FDA approved, but they state it never could be because the FDA would never approve a test procedure that is 100 discreet. In addition, they make the claim that other countries are using their tests. They do not indicate who manufactures the tests, which I find a bit questionable. Any information you have or could obtain would be greatly appreciated. The web site is I am not trying to advertise, but thought providing the information would be helpful. Thanks again and God bless!

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I cannot comment directly about the performance of this specific technology. There have been some peer reviewed published papers on dipstick technology and it's correlation with standard testing. There are no citations regarding publications at their website, only claims of accuracy. There currently no FDA approved rapid HIV tests in the U.S. Buyer beware.

Previous
10 copies?
Next
haveing false vdrl?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.