Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Initial Labs During Seroconversion
Jun 27, 2010

My doctor diagnosed me May 27th with the very first sign of my seroconversion starting May 3rd. So I was just recently infected and my cd4 and viral load numbers have been horrible. The thing is I can't find any information about labs during seroconversion and if I should be panicking about the numbers or if this is normal and they are going to dramatically rebound. My viral load went from 6 million to 2 million to 155K and my cd4 from 218 to 300 over the course of three weeks of testing. My doctor has already given me prescription for truvada/isentress, but obviously this is a lot to deal with and I want to make sure I'm not rushing into medication prematurely just because I had bad initial numbers due to catching the infection so quickly.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You are asking a very important question. It sounds like you are seeing some stabilization in your numbers and you may see further decline in viral load and increase in CD4 count over time without HIV treatment. On the other hand, your could remain stuck with those numbers. If someone with chronic HIV infection walked into the office with your current numbers, we would have no hesitancy in starting HIV meds. Unfortunately there is not test to know which way your situation will go. The long term benefits of starting HIV treatment during acute infection are not completely defined. The short term benefits will be almost immediate. You will see your viral load become undetectable and your CD4 count likely normalize in a month or two. The time for maximum benefit (preservation of your immune system) for starting treatment is now.

Previous
My CD4 is 380 and viral load is 58,000
Next
CD4 significant increase in 3 weeks? Normal?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.