Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Diagnosed with HIV, my counts are follows ... confused
Jun 6, 2010

hi, I have been diagonsed with HIv an have for 6 months. I have had 2 tests, and the following came back. I live and work in Asia so really have to look after myself here with private hostpitals and tell them the test that i need done and pay per test (which is ok) but many things get lost in translation.

I am bout to go and have another round of tests, CD4 and Viral Load , Is there any thing else I should get done.

I now don't Drink Alcohol, and have never smoked or taken any drugs in my life.

Help in explaining the following for me:

White Blood Cells 5500 . x10.6/L CD4% 33 CD4 No. 873

HIV PCR TaqMan 203000 Log - Tagman 5.31

Help?

Is there any thing else i need to ask my doctor here to do more when i do my tests next.

Please explain?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You currently have a normal WBC count, and a normal CD4 count and percentage. Your HIV viral load is high (usually anything > 100,000 is considered high). If you can afford it and get it, I would have your other blood counts (platelets, hemoglobin, etc), liver (albumin, AST, ALT) and kidney function (BUN, creatinine), and lipids (cholesterol and triglycerides) checked. I would get an HIV drug resistance test to see whether the virus strain you acquired is already resistant to some of the HIV drugs. You might want to get tested for hepatitis viruses like HBV and HCV and sexually transmitted diseases (like syphilis with an RPR). Although you don't need HIV treatment at this point, knowing these other test results will help optimize a regimen when that time comes. Finally, make sure you are up to date on all your immunizations (like flu, pneumovax, and others).

Previous
undetectable viral load, CD4 count going down
Next
can I take diazepan with atripla

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.