Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

THRUSH?!?
Apr 29, 2001

Mark, Thanks for your comments and insight. I have a worry that is driving me up the wall. 81 days ago or about 11 weeks I had unprotected vaginal sex with a sex worker. It lasted only a few minutes, but this concern stems deeper. At 10 weeks post exposure I had a neg test. Exactly one week later I started to expirience thrush. At least that is what the first doctor said it was. He didn't do a culture and just took a quick look. I got scarred and ran off to another doctor who is specializes in HIV. He couldn't believe that the doctor didn't do a culture. He also said that this could be stress related. This doctor took the time out to look in my mouth with a light and a said it could be thrush. He kept asking me to open my mouth while we talked. At the end of the conversation which lasted about an hour he said he could see it disappearing and thrush usually doesn't do this. Dr. Holodiny, Would it be possible to test neg at ten weeks and then get thrush a week later? Wouldn't atibodies be dectable by then? I have read about coated tongue and have also read about thrush. The thing is that the thrush is only on my tongue although and I am expirieng heart burn in the morning with this. I scraped it off and it was red and sore underneath, but no blood. My tongue is sore, but it is getting better. My tongue started to hurt on Wednesday by Thursday it was completely covered in white plaque. I started to rub it off. On Friday I went to the Doctor who diagnosed me, buy Friday night most of the paste and irration was gone. Today is Saturday and almost all the paste is gone. My taste buds in the back of my mouth are enlarged and I have a sore throat with a little irration on my tongue. From the way it is progressing I expect it all to clear up by tommorrow. Is this normal for Thrush? Having a four day attack? I had no other idications of thrush on other part of my mouth (cheeks, roof of mouth, or any I could see in my throat). I am scared to death and am going to get another hiv test in a couple of days. I also wear braces and smoke heavily. Could this contribute to my attack? Also 3 weeks after the sexual encounter I started to get the fissures at the side of my mouth. The fissures are even worse now and only seem to be affected the left side of my mouth. A side note: During this time I have been very depressed and scared. My nerves have been on edge and have been on Biaxan 6 days after exposre for 5 days. Also Luvox and Xianax for depression.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Thrush, or a yeast infection, is not specific for HIV infection. It can be the result of a variety of medical illnesses and a side effect of some medications.

Previous
is there a blood test for HPV
Next
steroids

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.