Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

what does having anal warts mean to me and my sex partners
May 23, 2010

I am at a loss to finding I suppose the answers that I need to hear. I am a 51 year old gay man that has HIV and anal warts. My anal papsmear is not back yet so I am not sure what type of HPV I carry, though I can tell you that a year and a half ago I had both a colonoscopy and and anoscopy and was told at that time that everything was okay. I was in a long term relationship (17 years) that recently broke up, so I have been sexually active for about five months. I have had about 8 partners in that five months so someone may have given me my anal warts during that time it is impossible to really know. I want to know what this means for my sexual escapades in the future? Should I refrain from having sex while being treated. To be honest I don't really understand why I had to tell all of my partners except that I felt morally obligated to and did. Since all of the men that I am having sex with have had sex with more than two people it is likely that they all have been exposed, so why bother telling them? I am being treated with Aldara cream three times a week for a month but don't quite understand what that means as well except that after a month the warts should be gone, men still want to have sex with me some even unprotected because they believe that they have already been infected or carry the hpv virus so why bother now, should they worry? I am a bit uncomfortable allowing that but I can not make decisions for them. So back to should I just stop having sex during and after the treatment since I obviously carry HPV and can transmit it whether or not the warts show? I want to thank you in advance for answering my questions, I appreciate this very much. This subject, I am finding out is so very difficult for me and clarification would be nice.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Although your questions are a bit outside the scope of this forum, it sounds like you have a pretty good grasp of the issues, both in terms of your own HPV infection and the public health ramifications of this sexually transmitted infection. There is no absolute contraindication in continuing to have anal sex, but disclosure and safe sex/protection would be the operative terms going forward.

Previous
Relationship between CD4 and VL
Next
WORRIED MOM

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.