Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Syphilis and other STDs
May 10, 2010

Dear Doctor,

I have been HIV+ for over a decade, but only started meds around a year ago. UD and CD4 stable at 460 (27%) as of March 2010. I was very safe when it came to sex and my last full STD panel was done in Dec 2009. I did something very stupid about 2 months ago - barebacking with another HIV+ man. I should have tested earlier but held it off, hoping I didn't catch anything.

But a few days ago I noticed a small red spot on my penis, and promptly asked my GP for a syphilis test (should have ordered others, but they will be done soon). At around the same time I noticed red blood in stools; my GP checked and said it was probably caused by hemorrhoids.

In any case the syphilis test came back reactive 3 days, with a titer of 1:64. I will see my ID doctor tomorrow. Now other than syphilis, I worry that I might have also contracted rectal gonorrhea and other STDs. I am also since earlier this week began to feel a lot of muscle ache (couldn't start a day without a over-the-counter painkiller), general tiredness and more than usual night sweating.

I am fully prepared for the penicillin treatment and even lumbar puncture (if doctor orders). I want to know what advises you might in turn of other possible STDs, in particularly regarding the tiredness and muscle ache. What other tests I should do? And if I am co-infected with gonorrhea or other STDs, how will they affect the syphilis treatment.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Yes, you need to be tested and possibly treated for other STDs besides syphilis. Blood in the stool would be unlikely from syphilis. Anoscopy and rectal screening for other STDs should be performed.

Previous
Gene Therapy the new way for hiv ???
Next
Is my baby truly not infected?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.