Unusual, sick but now healthy.

Hi I ve been told that im an unusual case. I was diagnosed in 2006 VL huge CD4 126. Since then I started HAART CD4 390 VL <20. Over the last 4 years I ve had KS - which went with HAART alone. Castlemans which went with Retuximab. Last year I was diagnosed with PEL - had 6 CHOP and remission for 15 weeks now. During that entire time my HHV8 levels were elevated. My last 2 HHV8 tests have shown me to be HHV8 negative! I know HHV8 is related to the 3 "cancers" I ve had so how am now HHV8 NEG. My consultants - Oncology and HIV say that it is possible that finally that part of my immune system has kicked in and has started to do its job. Is that possible/likely? If so does that mean that possibly these conditions wont return. I ve also been told by the HIV ONCOLOGIST that if the PEL does not return within 12 months its 99% certain it never will. Any comments/.advice on my case much appreciated. My CRP levels are 5 - lowest they ever been and LDH <180. Any other bloods I should be looking at?

Thanks

PS To anyone out there going through a similar hard time,. keep the faith, follow the advice from clinicians and keep healthy. It can work, you can come through dire situations.

Sounds like you have overcome a lot. Yes, it's conceivable that your immune system has returned sufficiently enough to start doing it's job. The chemo most likely destroyed most of the cells harboring HHV8 and HIV so your total viral burden is now markedly decreased. I don't think there are any other lab tests you need at this point. Sounds like you have a great crew looking after you.

Regarding IRIS
cd4