Is my boyfriend going to die?

My boyfriend got very sick and was diagnosed with Aids in a hospital a year and a half ago. He's been taking atripla for a little less than a year and hos cd-4 count has gone from 27 to 300 and his viral load went from off the charts to undetectable. No one informed him that he Gould take his meds at the same time every night and he recently missed one dose. He just found out his viral load is at 300,000 and he will have to change meds. We are freaking out now. What if his new meds aren't as affective? He's told me that if he has to take more than one pill a night or if he becomes sick from the new meds(I.e. Vomitting) that he will discontinue usig them. I don't want to loose him and I feel as though the doctors aren't the greatest. Were also concerned that this will put him in a new tier and what happens if he forgets again is placed in another tier and then no matter what, he cant become healthy again? What do we do?

There are many HIV treatment options if it is determined that the viral load rebound is associated with failure of Atripla. This can be accomplished by getting a resistance test. However, things will likely get somewhat more complicated (more pills or separate doses per day) and so adherence becomes important to make sure he is not missing doses.

Atripla Potency
Just diagnosed with a Cd4 count of 500