Medication needed?

Hi Dr. Holodniy,

I just received my lab results today with a viral load of 70,000 and CD count of 926. My doctor informed me that my neutrophil levels decreased below 1 (if I recall to 0.7) and that he wanted to start me on Atripla as a result. He stated that my neutrophil levels have always been on the lower end of the normal range and with this set of results, they dipped lower than where he would like to see them. I'm not sure if I want to start on Atripla, however will if it means better overall neutrophil levels. Do you think medication start is necessary at this point? Thank you.

HIV infection is not usually associated with low neutrophil counts, although many medications (including HIV meds) or other medical conditions could be causing this. Given where your current CD4 count is, it is unlikely that some of the more serious opportunistic infections associated with HIV could be causing this in you. That neutrophil count is getting to the level where other kinds of infection could start developing in you. Sometimes a bone marrow biopsy is indicated to sort out why you might not be making sufficient neutrophils. If you start HIV meds and the neutrophil count normalizes then you could say that HIV was associated with this. On the other hand, if you start HIV meds and your viral load is under control and your neutrophils don't increase, then something else is going on.

Blood work concerns
Eczema