Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Interested in Your Thoughts Re Starting Medication
Apr 11, 2010

Hi from Australia, I was diagnosed 10 months ago, and likely have been infected for 12 months prior to that. I am fit, healthy, eat well, exercise etc... I am close to starting HAART and just wanted one more opinion before taking the leap...

25/06/09 cd4#400 cd4%20 VL 7043 04/08/09 cd4#425 cd4%23 VL16700 22/09/09 cd4#273 cd4%20 VL 7450 17/12/09 cd4#481 cd4%26 VL10800 25/03/10 cd4#418 cd4%24 VL 7370

Is there anything here that suggests urgency to commence HAART, or can I wait another few months and see what my next results are like? My doctor is supportive of my decision to start, even though in Australia, the recommended level for commencing cd4s is still under 350....i notice a lot of advice on this website suggests under 500 is an ok time to start too...

Thanks so much for your time.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

There is no urgency and I think you can wait a few more months. On the other hand, yes, some data suggests starting above a CD4 count of 500 can delay disease progression better than starting later. You always have to weigh this with side effects and long term toxicities of HIV medications.

Previous
Pregnancy and Purbac DS
Next
allergy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.