Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Indeterminate Western Blot & Low CD4 = 220
Mar 28, 2010

I was diagnosed with HIV Positive through blood test on 8th Feb through EIA/MEIA method that came out positive. Then did a Western Blot test on 12th Feb that came out indeterminate with only gp160 & p24. Then did a CD4 on 17th Feb with only 220. Now on 25th March, I am about to start my treatment with Combivir (day & night) and Stoctrin (night only) combination. But doctor asked me to see if my fever still persist because I had fever for about 3 days since last week and doctor suspect it could be allergy to bactrim I am taking for the past 2 1/2 weeks that they gave since 8th March.

My question is with my indeterminate status of Western Blot, am I confirmed HIV Positive? Even though they did a viral load test but the test result hasn't came out yet. So now I am just following whatever the doctor told me to do.

Reason why I took blood test for HIV is because I have rashes that goes on and off ever since and now the last rash is healing up, hopefully no more new rashes is showing up.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Many would consider that western blot as being positive because the 2 band positive results are from two different regions of the HIV virus, and would be extremely unlikely as a false positive result. The HIV viral load will be useful and will and additional western blot to see the additional positive bands develop.

Previous
What does this mean! Pos or negative?
Next
Follow-up on DILS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.