When to Start Meds

I am 26, have been HIV+ for about two years. My cd4 count varies from the 460s, at one point down to 294 but now around 420. My viral load has been as high as 59,000 but now is back down to 29,000. My question is, what does it mean to have a lower viral load and lower cd4 count at same time? Is this just simply a lag time between tests? Also, my doctor said I can start meds when I want, should I? I feel I am ready to do it.

Although that might seem like a big swing in viral load, it really is not. We usually accept a 3-fold (3 times up or down) variation between measurements as being associated with assay variability. Another important number to follow is the CD4%. The CD4 count can vary by time of day, with other ongoing infections, because of vaccinations, among other reasons. Although a change from 460 to 294 would be considered significant, it's hard to know in your case. If the CD4% stayed relatively the same, which it's likely to have, given the swing back up in CD4 count, then this likely was not a significant drop. Although I don't think it's urgent to start meds in your case, you will be starting sooner rather than later based on your numbers.

hiv
hepatitis profile result