What constitute a long term non-progressor or an elite controller?

In August 2005 I received a positive HIV diagnosis. BY September/October I did my blood count and my cd4 was about 321 and viral load was 7,000. In a few months I did another and my numbers were Cd 376 and vl 5000. It kept within that range and I didn't bother to do any more tests. In 2007 I checked both my vl and cd but didnt get my vl score but my cd 4 was about 380. I am still not on meds and in January 2010 I did another set of tests. I just got back my results and my viral load is 960 and cd4 530. My percentage cd which was about 23 is now 29. I am optimistic. Is this normal in your practice or do I have particular reason to be optimistic?

Per my previous response, it appears that your immune system is doing a good job in controlling the virus on its own. Many of the elite controllers have undetectable (or low detectable like yours) viral loads and a CD4 count > 500 and long term nonprogressors are variably defined as having a normal CD4 count with an undetectable or low (such as yours) detectable viral load, in the absence of HIV treatment for 10 years or longer.

need assurance
norvir