Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

No evolution in treatment strategies. After more than a decade we still have HAART
Dec 27, 2009

Looking at the current pipeline of new meds in development I have the impression that nothing new is being studied but the companies are trying to fill the gap for those who are resistant to most of the meds. I understand the importance but I consider also the fact that we can't treat people for their lifetime. Who is willing to pay for that? What should we expect in relation to toxicities? I see more and more drugs studied with the same principle of action of the old medicines approved 10 years ago. The only new approach are the CCR5 drugs which are unfortunately only for those who have the right virus type and are treatment experienced. I'm still not on meds yet but if needed I would start with something new and side effects free. Where are the new meds? How long we need to wait for the next breakthrough in treatment? Please don't tell me that we have very good treatment now as I know plenty of people that don't tollerate the drugs and are also developing body changes. We can't continue to put patients daily on those toxic regimens. The body isn't able to tollerate this very long without any damage. Please explain how those people will feel in 15-20 years of treatment? Would you say it's the same like taking daily vitamins?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Your comments and observations are well beyond the scope of this forum. Although I would point to integrase and maturation inhibitors, in addition to co-receptor inhibitors as not being the "same old medicines". Also, it is extremely rare for any class of medication (blood pressure, erectile dysfunction, depression, etc) not to have any side effects. Depending on quantities present, even taking vitamin supplements can be harmful.

Previous
2nd labs re: cd4 and shingles
Next
What Lab Results Should I Ask My Doctor to Provide?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.