No evolution in treatment strategies. After more than a decade we still have HAART

Looking at the current pipeline of new meds in development I have the impression that nothing new is being studied but the companies are trying to fill the gap for those who are resistant to most of the meds. I understand the importance but I consider also the fact that we can't treat people for their lifetime. Who is willing to pay for that? What should we expect in relation to toxicities? I see more and more drugs studied with the same principle of action of the old medicines approved 10 years ago. The only new approach are the CCR5 drugs which are unfortunately only for those who have the right virus type and are treatment experienced. I'm still not on meds yet but if needed I would start with something new and side effects free. Where are the new meds? How long we need to wait for the next breakthrough in treatment? Please don't tell me that we have very good treatment now as I know plenty of people that don't tollerate the drugs and are also developing body changes. We can't continue to put patients daily on those toxic regimens. The body isn't able to tollerate this very long without any damage. Please explain how those people will feel in 15-20 years of treatment? Would you say it's the same like taking daily vitamins?

Your comments and observations are well beyond the scope of this forum. Although I would point to integrase and maturation inhibitors, in addition to co-receptor inhibitors as not being the "same old medicines". Also, it is extremely rare for any class of medication (blood pressure, erectile dysfunction, depression, etc) not to have any side effects. Depending on quantities present, even taking vitamin supplements can be harmful.

2nd labs re: cd4 and shingles
What Lab Results Should I Ask My Doctor to Provide?